Tuesday, March 22, 2011

New Beginnings

Several years ago I was a Laurel advisor in our ward.  It was a calling I loved, and there were three girls who I felt a special closeness to.  They were all as different as can be, and I loved them for their uniqueness. In the last few weeks I have watched each of them begin new and important chapters of their lives.  One was married, one accepted a mission call, and another began chemo therapy.  The love that I have for them has caused me to step back, and reflect on God's love and awareness for each of us on our own journey through life.

Last week my family was able to go to the temple on behalf of my brother Tanner who died from cancer thirteen years ago.  It was a day we had looked forward to, and as we stood together as a family, all I could think was, "he's here!" It was good to feel close to him.  My friends battle with cancer has kept him on my mind.  I love the way she has met this challenge head on, just like Tanner did.  Their courage seems to lift everyone a little higher.

When I got home from the temple we found out that my new little niece, Sage, had been born in Idaho. Again, I had to step back and reflect on the new beginnings that were happening on both sides of the veil that hour.  Every aspect of our lives are beautiful when you can see God's hand in it.

8 comments:

megan said...

Sweet post, Chrissy. You are always quick to reach out to those around you and spread God's love. Part of your understanding of people and their situations stems from your brother's battle with cancer, his death, and your own challenges with those things. Part of it must be just you, because you are wonderful. I hope all these new beginnings you support go better than well.

Rendell said...

What a beautiful thing to be together in the temple with your family. I sure miss you friend!

Hendrickson Family said...

sorry... the comment from Rendell is from me... Katie. I didn't realize I was logged into his account. Love you Chrissy!

Rachel Lund said...

So beautiful Chrissy! That's all I can say! So happy that your wonderful temple day finally arrived...one of those tender mercies. Love what you wrote about the different roads of your sweet laurels, we just never know what lies ahead--we only know how to prepare. Love ya!!

Mary said...

They really are such beautiful and strong girls, each with their own strengths and trials. I am so often in amazement at the courage, love and happiness the people that surround me show as they live thier lives. I am so happy you had the chance to attend the temple for/with Tanner. You are lovely and I LOVE the little piece of heaven babies bring!

sherrie said...

Love this! How sweet.

Jake and Jana said...

Thanks for posting this Chrissy. :) I had no idea...it made me cry. I love you very much! I'm excited to meet Tanner someday.

jen anderson said...

Chrissy, thanks for this post. It was so sweet, and I remember when I found out about Tanner. I remember thinking how hard it would be for you. That is so neat that you were able to attend the temple for him. Thank goodness for this wonderful gospel!