Friday, March 11, 2011

The other day while grocery shopping I happened upon a line of products that had aroma therapy fragrances in them.  They featured two of my favorite fragrances, lemon verbena and geranium.  Mmmm.  So of course I bought the hand soap and the counter spray.  later while I was cleaning up the house I thought to myself (seriously) how much my family would appreciate me for making such a lovely home for them.  I cooked dinner and had everything just right as Jer got home from work.

Well, nobody liked the dinner I made.  Everyone was grouchy.  Reese cried all evening. The phone kept ringing. Before I knew it, it was time to put the kids to bed.  After they were asleep I folded some laundry and one last time sprayed and wiped the counter tops.  As Jer walked out of the kitchen he casually said "that stuff kind of stinks, huh?"

Needless to say, I overreacted.  I was destroyed. I realize that Jer is entitled to his preferences, and this matter was after all, only about preferences.  So why was I so sad about it?  Jer looked at me like I might be insane when I said "I don't think we're meant to be together"  Ha ha - only joking.  Jer is perfect for me actually. I guess I was just trying to show off the 'invisible work' that I do .  I thought of a talk I heard a while back by Doctors Bill & Chris Marshall called "Love at Home".  They talk about 'invisible work'.  The endless tasks like laundry and dishes that nobody realizes has even been done until it hasn't been, and then you get assaulted by kids needing socks and their favorite shirt or tinkerbell jammies.  And now every time I use that delicious soap I feel like i'm causing offense. Grrr.

Well this morning when Avery opened her closet to find her favorite outfit waiting for her she said "oh my! I am so happy! You're the best mommy in the world"  (she's always this passionate about small things, it's her gift).  Funny how such a small amount of recognition can make me feel so warm and fuzzy.

9 comments:

Mary said...

You are a great mommy! I'm always telling my kids they would appreciate me more if I stopped my "invisible jobs". I love those moments when they do notice!

megan said...

This type of thing sounds all too familiar. My laundry situation is noticed far too often--because of the lack of favorite items being where they should be (instead they are in a giant pile of waiting laundry). I love that you said you don't think you were meant to be together! So funny how little things can make such a difference...way to go Avery!

sherrie said...

Funny! (kind of!) I love that you were imagining everyone being so grateful - I do that too sometimes! My mom always says that nobody notices a clean house...but everyone notices a dirty one! No wonder you loves girls - cute Avery. Love her!

Rachel Lund said...

Oh so true! That is why we love so much... because we serve so much!! I guess that's why it turns out to truly be a blessing in the end! :) Because you just can't help but love the ones you serve! I bet Jer was thinking that stuff stunk compared to your delicious dinner smell!~ :)

Blicj11 said...

Jeremy learned how to be sensitive from hid dad. Sorry.

Eric Lund said...

Chrissy... you are awesome! However, it's nice to know that I'm not alone in the world. Thank you to Jeremy for making me feel normal.

Jake and Jana said...

I believe we have all experienced this kind of an evening...they are no fun! At least you can look back on it and laugh. :)

abo-bder said...


شركة تركيب اثاث ايكيا بالرياض
فني تركيب ستائر بالرياض
فني تركيب ستائر شمال الرياض
فنى تركيب
وايت شفط الصرف الصحى
شركة تركيب اثاث ايكيا بالرياض
فنى
فنى تركيب
شركة تركيب ستائر بالرياض
شركة تركيب اثاث ايكيا بالرياض

abo-bder said...



شركة تركيب غرف نوم ايكيا بالرياض
شركة تركيب اثاث ايكيا بالرياض
شركة تركيب ستائر بالرياض
.
شركة تركيب اثاث ايكيا بالرياض
محل تصليح شاشات التلفزيون
شركة تنظيف مجالس بابها
فنى
تركيب كاميرات
تركيب كاميرات